From online shopping to dating, the internet has opened up a world of possibilities. At the same time, it has also made it easier to get your data compromised. To make things worse, not all of us are experts at protecting ourselves online. Thankfully, there are plenty of ways to do, one of which is to get a VPN in Singapore.
Short for Virtual Private Network, a VPN gives you a secure and encrypted tunnel to transmit data between you and the rest of the internet, shielding you from bad guys planning to steal your data.
Do VPNs work in China?
In China, there’s this thing called the Great Firewall of China, which is a combination of legislation and technology that regulates China’s internet. The Great Firewall of China is intended to block access and censor content for those living in and outside of China.
Normally, you could use a VPN to bypass these restrictions. However, China’s government has recently been cracking down on VPN use, so a lot of them aren’t able to pass through this mega firewall. Nonetheless, there are a handful of VPNs in Singapore that can help you get past these restrictions, and this includes all 10 VPNs listed in this article.
How exactly can a VPN benefit you?
Here are some ways in which using a VPN in Singapore can come in useful for you.
Avoid being snooped at in public hotspots
Whenever you use public Wi-Fi, your device becomes prone to being accessed by anyone using the same network. Using a VPN in Singapore helps encrypt your phone or laptop, putting a barrier between you and anyone wanting to snoop into your device.
Bypass geographical restrictions
It can be a huge pain living in an area that restricts websites you can visit. The content you want could be censored by your country, so you can’t fully experience what the internet has to offer. With a VPN, you can bypass these restrictions and surf the web freely.
If you’re the type who loves to binge-watch shows online, using a VPN in Singapore can help you access region-locked content, as if you’re currently in that region. Certain streaming services, like Netflix, Disney+ are examples for this.
If you’re an avid gamer, you would know that a good app or game transcends borders. It would be a shame if there’s a game or app out there you’re keen to play, only for it to be locked in a foreign app store. VPNs can allow you to access these app stores, letting you download any app of your choice.
Hide your true location online
Sometimes, you’ll want to keep your true location a secret, such as from the sites you visit. VPNs can not only mask your actual location, they can also make it appear like you’re accessing the internet from a completely different country.
10 Best VPNs in Singapore
Here are the 10 best VPNs in Singapore you can buy to better secure your presence online. For ease of reference, we’ve included a table below with the respective prices.
|SurfShark||– $16.50/month (monthly plan)|
– $8/month (1-year plan)
– $2.75/month (2-year plan)
|ExpressVPN||$18/month (monthly plan)|
$13.60/month (6-month plan)
$9/month (15-month plan)
|NordVPN||$16.50/month (monthly plan)|
$7/month (1-year plan)
$5/month (3-year plan)
|vyprVPN||$18/month (monthly plan)|
$5/month (1-year plan)
$3.50/month (2-year plan)
|PrivateVPN||$13.50/ month (monthly plan)|
$8/month (6-month plan)
$4.50/ month (1-year plan)
|StrongVPN||$13.50/month (monthly plan)|
$8/month (1-year plan)
|Astrill VPN||$27/month (monthly plan)|
$20/month (6-month plan)
$14/month (1-year plan)
|HotspotShield||$20/month (monthly plan)|
$12/month (1-year plan)
|Windscribe||$12/month (monthly plan)|
$5.50/month (1-year plan)
|TunnelBear||$7/month (monthly plan)|
$8/user (business plan)
Monthly plan: $16.50/month
1-year plan: $8/month
2-year plan: $2.75/month
- Unlimited Simultaneous Connections: SurfShark allows you to connect multiple devices simultaneously on a single account, making it perfect for protecting your entire family online. This also works if you have more than one device and wish to connect them all simultaneously.
- Cyberweb Security Feature: Not only does SurfShark allow you to surf the internet anonymously, it also actively protects you from threats such as internet trackers, malware, and phishing software.
- 30-Day Free Trial: If you’re still on the fence about getting SurfShark as a VPN in Singapore and want to try it out first, you can always do a free 30-day trial. All features will be available to you during the trial, and you won’t have to spend a cent. What’s more, you only need to pay $2.75 a month for a 2-year plan!
Monthly plan: $18/month
6-month plan: $13.60/month
15-month plan: $9/month
- Fastest VPN Available: One unfortunate side effect of using a VPNs is that your internet connection speed tend to slow down. There are no such problems with ExpressVPN, which has consistently ranked as the fastest in speed tests. This is thanks to its fast servers spread across 150 countries around the globe.
- Advanced Security: Express VPN is also known for its advanced security features and its strict policy on not keeping any data logs. This means that if a country decides to give ExpressVPN a subpoena to give up any user data logs, ExpressVPN won’t be able to provide them with any.
- Customer Support in Multiple Languages: Because ExpressVPN’s 24/7 customer support operates in multiple languages, it’s very popular amongst users across the globe.
Monthly plan: $16.50/month
1-year plan: $7/month
3-year plan: $5/month
- Military-Grade Encryption: NordVPN uses a military-grade encryption that allows you to consistently pass through China’s Great Firewall.
- Obfuscated Servers: If you’re connecting to a particular server and have issues connecting, you can activate the obfuscated servers option through the VPN settings. This will allow you to access an alternative list of servers specifically designed to access heavily restricted areas.
- 30-Day Free Trial: Looking for a VPN in Singapore and want to sign up for only the best? NordVPN offers a 30-day free trial where you can access all features.
Monthly plan: $18/month
1-year plan: $5/month
2-year plan: $3.50/month
- Chameleon Technology: VyprVPN makes use of a proprietary technology called Chameleon Technology that scrambles user’s metadata. This ensure that your data cannot be traced by any means, and no system will be able to detect that you’re using a VPN. This makes VyprVPN one of the best VPNs in Singapore to use if you’re trying to gain access through the Great Firewall of China.
- Unlimited Bandwidth: VyprVPN has more than 700 high-speed servers around the world, allowing you to have fast connections even when using their VPN service.
- 30-Day Free Trial: VyprVPN also offers a 30-day trial for free. That way, you don’t have to worry about wasting money on a VPN in Singapore that’s not up to your expectations. If you do decide to continue using their service, you won’t be ambushed by hidden fees or anything similar.
Monthly plan: $13.50/month
6-month plan: $8/month
1-year plan: $4.50/month
- Special Stealth Mode: Although PrivateVPN is a relatively new player and doesn’t offer as many features as other VPNs, PrivateVPN does have a special Stealth Mode technology that’s able to hide your VPN activity. This means no one will be able to find out you’re using a VPN.
- Advanced Encryption: PrivateVPN uses an advanced encryption service. In the off chance that their security is compromised, you don’t have to worry since PrivateVPN doesn’t keep any logs of its users.
- 7-Day Free Trial, 30-Day Money Back Guarantee: PrivateVPN offers a 7-day free trial, which may not be as great as other VPN services that offer 30 days. Nonetheless, they offer a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Monthly plan: $13.50/month
1-year plan: $8/month
- Efficient Obfuscation Tools: StrongVPN has some good obfuscation tools, allowing you to access previously inaccessible websites and apps without having your data being accessed without permission.
- Multiple Device Connectivity: You can connect up to 12 devices per account, making it a good option for families or individuals who own a lot of internet-ready devices.
- No User Logs: StrongVPN doesn’t keep any user logs in its servers. This means you don’t have to worry even if the service suffers any sort of security breach.
Monthly plan: $27/month
6-month plan: $20/month
1-year plan: $14/month
- Smart Mode: AstrillVPN’s smart mode allows the VPN service to be used automatically only when needed. For example, if you’re trying to access an international website, Astrill VPN will automatically tunnel you through securely. On the other hand, Astrill VPN won’t activate if you’re using it as VPN in Singapore and trying to access a local website, so you don’t appear suspicious.
- Stealth Mode: AstrillVPN uses a form of stealth technology, hiding your activity and your VPN use.
- Advanced Encryption: Astrill VPN makes use of advanced encryption technology, making sure you and your data don’t get compromised.
Monthly plan: $20/month
1-year plan: $12/month
- Military-Grade Encryption: HotspotShield uses a military-grade encryption, so you don’t have to worry too much about your data being stolen.
- Fast Speeds: Thanks to its Proprietary Catapult Hydra protocols, HotspotShield doesn’t compromise on connection speed. Their unlimited bandwidth also ensures that no matter how much data you transfer, your speeds will never be throttled using it as a VPN in Singapore.
Monthly plan: $12/month
1-year plan: $5.50/month
- Good Security Protocols: Windscribe is able to block malware from getting into your devices.
- Decent Free Service: Free users can still enjoy most of its features, including its top-grade security. The only downside is that your data will only be limited to 10 GB per month.
Monthly plan: $7/month
Per user plan: $8/month
- Business Plans: If you’re looking for an affordable VPN in Singapore, Tunnelbear is one of the most affordable VPN services out there. While it’s not ideal for multiple devices, its business plans give users the option to pay per user, and comes with centralised team billing and management.
- Excellent Mobile Support: Tunnelbear’s VPN service is optimised for mobile use, so Android and iOS users will benefit greatly from its user-friendly interface and features.
- Free Users Get Complete Access to Servers: Unlike other VPN services, Tunnelbear allows its free users to use its entire server network, spanning more than 20 countries!
While you’re here, why not take a look at these articles:
- Hailstorm Umbrella: Sturdy, Stylish, and for Serious Umbrella Users
- 10 best water dispensers for clean and filtered water
- 10 Best Water Filters in Singapore for Clean Drinking Water
- Maid Agency in Singapore: 5 Agencies You Can Trust
- 20 Best Karaoke Places in Singapore
- The 4 Best Printer/Copier Rental in Singapore
- 6 Best Ceiling Fans With Lights in Singapore From $220
- 5 Tote Bags That Will Get You Noticed, Starting From $8
- 8 Great Outdoor Furniture Options in Singapore for Your Home
- 5 of the best tattoo parlours in Singapore