There are so many ways we can get sick nowadays, including through the water we drink. While Singapore has one of the cleanest tap water in the world, it’s never a bad thing to use a water filter to protect ourselves from waterborne diseases.
Water filters, though not foolproof, can do wonders in keeping your water clean.
Why should you use a water filter in Singapore?
The tap water in Singapore is safe to drink, so technically, you don’t have to use a water filter here. But it’s always better to be safe than sorry.
In case the water system gets contaminated temporarily by things like bacteria, using a water filter ensures that your family still has clean drinking water. Plus, the water filter can help you remove the chlorine taste of the tap water.
Types of water filters available in Singapore
Although the basic premise of water filters is fairly simple, where you block off contaminants while still allowing water to flow freely, there are plenty of ways to go about this. Here are a few of them:
Activated carbon filters
Activated carbon is a type of material that bonds with a lot of heavy materials and chemicals. That’s why when you ingest poisonous substance, you’re given activated charcoal, so that it absorbs the poison and allows it to pass freely without causing further harm.
Carbon filters work pretty much the same way. You basically let water pass through a bed of activated carbon. As the water passes through, the carbon absorbs any harmful chemicals that may be in the water. Not only is this effective at removing chlorine, but also strange odours and tastes from the water.
Alkaline filters and ionizer filters pretty much work the same way, in that they use electrolysis to separate the water into acidic and alkaline components. This results in the creation of alkaline water or ionized water, which is believed to have a variety of health benefits. Some of these health benefits include disease prevention and offsetting the effects of acidic foods.
Infrared filters work by using heat and light to “soften” hard water. Water is classified as hard water when it contains a significant amount of minerals such as calcium and magnesium. Though these minerals tend to be harmless when drunk, hard water can cause dry skin over time.
Reverse osmosis filters
Reverse osmosis filters make use of semi-permeable materials that allow water to pass through, while blocking out larger molecules and even bacteria. These filters are generally used to produce purified water that’s safe enough to drink or be used for cooking. It’s relatively easy to use and saves a lot of energy too.
Ultraviolet filters are considered to be the most effective at eliminating bacteria and other microbes from water. These filters make use of ultraviolet light (UV), which kills bacteria and other microbes upon contact. Although it’s not as effective at filtering harmful sediments, it does destroy 99.99% of harmful microorganisms in the water system.
Here’s a table summarising the different types of water filters:
|Type of water filter||Key features|
|Activated carbon filters||– Absorbs any harmful chemicals |
that may be in the water
– Effective in removing chlorine,
and strange odours and tastes
|Alkaline/ionizer filters||– Separate the water into acidic and alkaline components, producing|
– Alkaline water is believed to have health benefits like preventing
diseases and offsetting the effects
of acidic food
|Infrared filters||– Use heat and light to “soften” hard water, which can cause dry skin|
|Reverse osmosis filters||– Semi-permeable materials allow water to pass through, while|
blocking out larger molecules and bacteria
|UV filters||– Kills bacteria and other microbes upon contact, destroying 99.99% of harmful microorganisms in the|
With so many options though, how do you choose the right water filter? To help you out, we’ve made a list of the best water filters available in Singapore for you to consider.
13 Best Water Filters to Buy in Singapore
|Water filter available in |
|Brita Marella 2.4L Water Jug||$49.90|
|Culligan FM-15A Faucet Mount|
|Novita Faucet Water Purifier NP180 Bundle Pack||$129|
|OSIM uPure 2 Water Purifier||$99|
|Aquagear Water Filter Pitcher||$290.40|
|3M Ctm02 counter-top Drinking Water Filter||$349.95|
|Hyflux S218 Spring Digital Water Purifier Set||$399|
|PureDew Counter Top Filtration|
|Price not published|
|Doulton Ceramic Water Filter TCP6 KD||$449.95|
|3m Easy Complete Drinking Under Sink Water Filters||$499|
|Novita Countertop Water Purifier|
|Tomal FreshDew + Hot & Cool|
1. Brita Marella 2.4L Water Jug
- Affordable price: Brita is known for producing affordable water filtration, and the MX Plus Jug is no exception to this rule. It’s one of the most affordable water filters in Singapore, allowing you to enjoy filtered drinking water for a cheap price.
- No electricity needed: Thanks to its simplistic design, this filtration system can do its job without using electricity.
- Indicators for filter replacement: Brita’s filtration jug makes use of a Smart Light system to signal you that the filters need changing. This means you don’t need to do guesswork on when you need the filters changed.
2. Culligan FM-15A Faucet Mount Filter
- Compact design: Because it’s mounted on the tap, it doesn’t use a tank for storage, allowing you to save space with this one. Plus, the filter can be installed easily without using any tools.
- On-demand clean water: Since this water filter doesn’t have any tank reserves, you don’t have to wait for clean drinking water before you can drink. You can just pull the diverter tab to switch from unfiltered water to drinking water.
- Affordable price: At less than $100, Culligan’s Mount Filter is one of the cheapest water filters available in Singapore.
3. Novita Faucet Water Purifier NP180 Bundle Pack
- 2 Step Ultra Filtration: This feature helps in removing 99% of bacteria and chlorine from your tap water using its Granular Activated Carbon and a Membrane Filter method. It will give you a cleaner and better quality taste of your tap water!
- Easy to install: The best thing about this water filter is that the installation process will only take you in less than an hour! You only need to screw it on your tap since it fits right through your faucet, and voila! Your new water filter is ready to use!
- Simple filter lifespan indicator: This feature is also beneficial, especially with those busy people that tend to forget when to change their water filter. Usually, Novita faucet water filter lasts for up to five months, but with this indicator, it’ll automatically alarm you when it’s time to change.
4. OSIM uPure 2 Water Purifier
- 4-step purification process: OSIM’s uPure filtration system makes use of a 4-step purification process, ensuring that all known bacteria are removed from your drinking water.
- On-demand clean water: Because you’re basically just attaching this to a standard faucet, it does its filtration process in real time. This means there’s no need to wait for a tank to fill up, allowing you to enjoy clean drinking water anytime.
- Cartridge replacement indicator: You can set the indicator to a specific time (e.g. the recommended 5 months after the installation) to remind yourself to replace the cartridge.
5. Aquagear Water Filter Pitcher
- Easy to use: Because it’s basically just a pitcher that has a filter on top of it, it’s relatively straightforward to use. Plus, there’s no installation. Simply put water in it, and when you pour yourself a glass from the pitcher, you’ll be drinking purified water, free from any contaminants.
- Affordable price: Compared to other water filters in Singapore, Aquagear’s pitcher is relatively cheap. It’s a great way to ensure that you are drinking clean water even when you’re on a budget.
- Lifetime guarantee: The good thing about Aquagear is that if your pitcher breaks, they’ll replace it for free.
6. 3M Ctm02 Counter-Top Drinking Water Filter
- Easy to install: This water filter is effortless and straightforward to install without any downtime. Since it is a counter-top type, you’ll only need to place it on your counter-top beside the faucet and connect the tube. It saves you time and energy without any hassle!
- NSF/ANSI Certified Filtration Method: 3M has been in the industry for more than 75 years of filtration expertise. Its water filtration is NSF 42 and 53 certified with an international standard. In which it was being tested and proven to be safe. Its filtration method helps in reducing harmful contaminants from drinking water that keeps your tap water clean and fresh. With its outstanding record, this brand is trusted by most users.
- Classy and Elegant Design: With its simple yet classy and elegant design, this water filter from 3M gives your sink area a minimalist nice looking interior! For those who are into trusted brands with a high-quality standard of a minimalist counter-top water filter, then this one is the best choice!
7. Hyflux S218 Spring Digital Water Purifier Set
- High-performance NSF certified: This is one of the most popular water filters in Singapore that you can buy online. Besides its many features, it is also NSF certified (international standard) in which it has been tested and proven safe. It has an activated carbon block that reduces solid contaminants, chlorine, bad taste and odour.
- Smart digital flow rate monitor: Just like some water filters, this one has a digital monitor in which it has an indicator of your cartridge lifespan. It also alerts you when you need to replace your filter cartridge. So if you’re a forgetful person type, this one is a great option!
- Innovative built-in micro-turbine technology: With its Nanofibre disc, this feature helps to block submicron contaminants, and bacteria via electro-absorption. So it does have the assurance that every drop of water passing through the water filter is cleansed and purified.
8. PureDew Counter Top Filtration Cooler
- UV filtration system: Although PureDew’s cooler also makes use of a 4-stage filtration system, they make use of UV filtration instead of regular osmosis. It allows PureDew’s filtration system to eliminate harmful microorganisms effectively and keep your family safe!
- Removable plastic reservoir: This makes it easier for when you need to do a thorough cleaning of your cooler.
- Hot-and-cold water tank: Depending on your needs, PureDew’s countertop filter allows you to dispense either hot water or cold water.
9. Doulton Ceramic Water Filter TCP6 KDF
- No electric usage: Doulton’s ceramic water filter makes use of passive filtration to clean up your water. This means it doesn’t actually need an electrical supply to do the job. If the power is out, you can rest assured that you’ll still get your filtered drinking water.
- Easy installation: This ceramic water filter doesn’t have too many moving parts, so it’s relatively easy to install. Simply attach it to any water supply and it should start doing its job by giving you fresh and clean tap water.
- 1-year warranty: This water filter in Singapore comes with a 1-year warranty. If your item has a defect or if you’re not happy with it, you can contact the company and they’ll give you a replacement.
10. 3M DWS2500T-CN Drinking Water Filter System (Under Sink)
- Easy cartridge change: What makes 3M’s water filtration system so attractive to many is that it’s easy to replace the filtration cartridges. All it takes is less than 10 seconds to replace it.
- Smart cartridge life monitoring system: The unique thing about 3M’s water filter, compared to other water filters in Singapore, is that it has an LED indicator that notifies you when it’s time to change the cartridge, so you’ll never forget about replacing it.
11. Novita Countertop Water Purifier NP313
- Compact design: Due to its sleek design, this water purifier from Novita takes minimal space. You can basically put this on your countertop and still have ample space on the table.
- No electricity needed: Novita’s water filtration unit doesn’t need to be plugged in. This means you save on electricity bills and still get clean, quality drinking water.
- Tankless system: As the water goes directly from the water supply to the filtration system, it prevents any potential contamination. It will give you a satisfying clean and fresh taste of water!
12. Hydroflux H-850S Water Filter
- 4-stage filtration system: The first stage involves regular osmosis. After that, the water is passed through an activated carbon filter to absorb chemicals. A nano filter will then remove bacteria and finally, the water itself is alkalized to give you mild alkaline water.
- Hot-and-cold water tank: With this water filter, you can have either hot or cold water anytime you want. You don’t need to put your filtered water in the fridge if you want it cold, or boil it if you’re going to make a cup of coffee.
- Easy-to-change filter: One of the most annoying aspects of owning a filtering system is having to change the filters every so often. With the Hydroflux H-850S, the entire process is shortened to just a few quick steps. It’s perfect for those who are looking for more convenience and less hassle!
13. Tomal FreshDew + Hot & Cool Dispenser (Under Sink)
- Saves space: Unline other water filters in Singapore, this particular filtration system can be mounted on the wall and installed directly into the water supply. Since it’s tankless, it doesn’t take as much space to store water as compared to other water filtration systems, so it’s suitable for small pantries and kitchens with limited table space.
- Hot and cold water on demand: Tomal’s water filter and dispenser can give you hot or cold water on demand. There’s no need to wait for the reservoir to fill up and then heat up or cool down the water depending on your needs.
- Energy-saving: Because it only heats up or cools down water when the tap is on, you can save more energy as opposed to a dispenser that has a tank. In contrast, dispensers with tanks usually need to maintain a particular temperature at all times, so they are turned on more often and use up more electricity.
- The 4 Best Water Heaters in Singapore Starting at $158
- 5 Air purifiers for your home starting from $199
Here are other articles that you might want to check out as well:
- 20 Best Karaoke Places in Singapore
- 5 Best and Reliable Painting Services in Singapore
- Top 5 Reliable House Cleaning Services in Singapore
- 5 Tote Bags That Will Get You Noticed, Starting From $8
- 6 Best Places to Find a Part-Time Maid in Singapore
- 5 Places to Find the Best Toilet Bowl in Singapore for You
- Maid Agency in Singapore: 5 Agencies You Can Trust
- The 7 Best Carpet Cleaning Services in Singapore